Saturday, January 19, 2013

If I Could Get Paid...

My dream job is to be a professional people watcher.
I want to sit in cafes and parks; I want to go to concerts and amusement parks; I want to walk through towns and airports and just observe the people.
That makes it sound like I want to be an Anthropology or Psychology major, and know all of the inner workings/complexities of human nature; in other words, the science of people. But my brain doesn't work science, it doesn't like science. Therefore, I don't really care about the science. I just want to watch people and wonder what about their life made them do what they're doing.
Seriously, have you ever just watched people? They're extremely interesting. And some of them do the craziest things.
I just like people and I feel like a lot of our world today revolves around technology or having the latest shoes (Aw, he got the Velcros). What about people? I know it's a thing about the Pacific Northwest to be standoff and not enter into conversations with random people but I feel like the world--at least the world I'm a part of--is sort of losing its grasp of "humanity." I put that in quotes because you may choose to define it as you will...but I think part of being human--part of having humanity--is being interested in the lives of other, you know, humans.
That's a little off topic because the real point is that I have no idea what I want to do and people keep suggesting to do what interests me because then I'll enjoy my work and la-di-da-all-the-advice-your-family-ever-gave-you-about-college-majors. The only problem is that what I enjoy isn't an actual career.
Guess I have some more brainstorming to do about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment