Monday, April 1, 2013

Airplanes And Assorted Associated Aspects

Special thanks to Arlee Bird for creating the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge. This is gonna be great :)

Since I'm hanging out in an airport with an hour to kill, I thought airplanes would be fun to think about. First off, airplanes are scary--but I'm not actually scared of them (I've flown too many times for that to be a fear of mine). But they're scary because you're relying on so much technology to keep you up in the air and, if any of it fails, you're pretty much sunk. Maybe you have a skilled pilot who can land you safely but then you're potentially in the middle of nowhere, which isn't very conducive to arriving at your destination on time.
Airplanes, airplanes...I'd be interested to count how many airplanes I've been on in my life. "A lot" is one acceptable answer. I do take that as a good thing; I'm happy my mom liked to travel so much--it got me out of the house and I got to see some pretty cool things, all thanks to the scary power of airplanes.
But then there are airports, which are beasts in and of themselves what with check-in, security, and all of the waiting that one does. Thank goodness for "Hudson News" stores to stifle boredom, huh? Also, my laptop is pretty handy. (Did I just make a pun? It's too early for me to tell.) I do know that I've flown enough to have favorite airports (Atlanta over JFK any day) and maybe that suggests that I've flown too much.
Airplanes are pretty amazing, being able to fly over hundreds of miles with cargo and/or passengers. But I don't know if we should depend upon them so much because what happens if they all fail?

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Robyn! I'm Sherrey at Healing by writing (#677 on the list), and I loved your post. Flying is a great way to travel and I've done a lot in the past but not lately. The last time we flew was just after 9/11 and the airport hassle has just reached an "I don't want to deal with it" level. :) So, now we travel by train or car. Of course, being retired helps. Have fun with the challenge!

    Sherrey at Healing by Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got back from vacation and spent a lot of time on planes. I was reflecting on how mundane flight had become to me!

    Looking forward to seeing what you do all month.
    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side and The Witch
    Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aeroplanes are Amazing!! but yes you are quite right the amount of technology involved and the possibility of failures on any one little thing can be quite scary , that is why i like to think of them as magical instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm not traveling by aeroplane but I am traveling through the A-Z blog list today. Enjoyed your post I guess what I like about flying is that it is faster than driving.

    Have a great month,
    Blessings,
    Margot
    http://sparkmycreativity.blogspot.com/
    http://devotionals-margot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete