Thursday, February 14, 2013

Day 10. How Fitting For Valentine's Day

Discuss your first love and first kiss.

Firstly, let me say again how funny this is my topic for Valentine's Day.
Secondly, we're gonna spend a minute talking about how I feel like I was the only person in sweats today--amid the sea of red dresses. But I was tired and I have midterms tomorrow so my level of caring was zero. I did, however, make a new friend in my English class. We bonded over "How I Met Your Mother" and mediocrity. It was great. Although, I am expecting that work will be crazy today. Valentine's Day means that everyone is gonna be chomping at the bit for their packages.
Thirdly, I guess I should actually talk the topic of the day: my first love and my first kiss. So there was this boy in the grade above me who would always ask my dad for candy bars (my dad's a math teacher who sometimes offered rewards for doing well; this guy just kept coming back as a joke.) After a few times of seeing him in my dad's classroom asking for candy, I started calling him the "candy bar kid." Things went on like that for a while then, randomly as far as I can remember, we started hanging out. Mutual friend, maybe. Anyway, I found out that his name was Kris, and that I thought he was funny.
Then he did something that really confused me...for two months, he decided to ignore me. I was confused and hurt the entire time. Anyways, after the winter break, he started talking to me again. From then, everything just grew. We became super close and the mutual attraction we had was obvious to everyone.
At the end of the year, there was this "Spring Fling" dance. Totally a middle school thing, totally silly. A different mutual friend of ours was trying to get Kris and I to dance together but we were both being shy, awkward and stubborn. At least, until it was the last dance.
Then I asked him.
From that dance on, we were just together. I did make him ask my dad's permission--a huge ordeal, apparently :P. And our first kiss was in the gazebo in the bus loop's park. Then he told me that he loved me. :D Talk about a way to make a girl smile.
Maybe it was puppy love then but I was so attached too him--so attached that it hurt a friendship for a while. But that's how I understood love, wanting to be with someone all the time no matter what. I guess I do still believe that but it's just different now. There's a lot more to "all the time;" there's a lot more ups and downs in adult life than in 7th grade.
But who knew that 5 years later--after several break ups, two moves, a year and a half of not talking, and plenty of time treading awkward waters-- that same boy would be sending me Valentine's presents from across the country? Life has a funny way of working, I think.
Happy Valentine's Day to all. :)

1 comment:

  1. Checking out blogs that signed up for the A/Z Challenge; I loved reading this story about your first kiss; too cute that you are still involved with him years later!! My first kiss in 5th grade, I have no idea what happened to him!

    betty

    ReplyDelete