Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I'm Cheating A Little Bit

I have a feeling that there's a clause of "You may only post once during your 30 day challenge." If such a clause does exist, I'm deciding to ignore it. I will post however much I want over these next 30 days, it's just that some of these posts will belong to my challenge and some will not.

How often do you use "forever" and "for life" interchangeably? Seriously, think about that for a minute. Do you choose which of those to use for a specific reason, or do you just need a phrase that conveys a super long time?
I was walking across campus today, thinking about my best friends (a much needed thought diversion after a math test that I've almost passed 3 times now). See, I'm one of those people who has a lot of "best friend," each have a time and a place. Maybe that's bad and I should have my sole best friend who knows absolutely everything and I'd go to for anything but, honestly, all of my best friends are my best friend for a different reason and I do go to them for different reasons. I guess I just like it that way.
Yes, by the way, I promise that these two things are related.
I would say that I have two long standing best friends. I will always consider both of these ladies (girls, women, females, whatever your pleasure) within my classification of "best friend." So I was wondering how I would put them into their own special classes.
Thus, I return to my earlier discussion of "forever" and "for life." In this respect, I draw a distinction between the two. With one of these best friends (K), I'm sure that we'll be best friends for life. We've been best friends for as long as I can remember. Even after I moved away, she was one of the people I insisted on seeing during my summer trips back to the states. With the other (T), I hope we'll be best friends forever. I met her while I was in Italy and I've seen her twice since she moved away. The distinction I find between my relationships with K and T (the thing that makes one my "best friend for life" and the other my "best friend forever) becomes apparent when I look at the dynamics of these two relationships.
With K, the dynamic changes almost every time I see her. I don't know if she shares this feeling but it's almost like I have to re-get to know her each time we get together; I know her at the most basic--I remember what we were like together we were little; I'm pretty sure I know what she wants out of life, what her morals are, and her general personality. But I don't know her other friends anymore, what her classes are life, or what she does for fun on the weekends; if her boyfriend is nice, how golf is going, or how weird it is to have a dad as a professor at the same school. We don't talk much, don't share favorite books or movies, or stories about boys under the covers of our blanket fort at nostalgic sleepovers. But we have a history and I do love her to death. I know that I could always go to her and talk to her about anything; I know that she'll love me through anything and I hope she feels that she could come talk to me if she needed it (or wanted to).
As far a T goes, we talk a fair bit. I know that she's currently working on a paper about criminal profiling (and she's disconcertingly interested in it...scratch that, this it T, criminal profiling is just the kind of thing that would draw her in.) I know where she works, which coworkers she gets along with. I know what books she likes, which ones she's biting her nails,waiting for the last book in a series to come out. I know how her relationship with her family is, which days she loves them easily and which days it takes a little effort. Everything seems to be the same when we get together, it falls back into the easy pattern of last time because we've be in so much contact since the last time we physically saw each other.
What this all culminates to is that I know I could always go to either of lovely ladies to talk. I just know that I'll probably go to K with big life reasons more often than for seemingly trivial things. T will end up knowing both because we're forever communicating. I expect that K will be around for all of my big life events, I've just gotten so used to her being infrequently in my immediate circle of people that I talk to; it's a hard habit to break. I have zero doubt that we'll remain friends for the rest of our lives. I just think that T and I will be friends forever, because we can't get rid of each other.
K, T, you are both amazing women. I love you both so very dearly and cherish all of our inside jokes. I admire you and am so glad that you're in my life. I miss you guys. Hopefully, I'll see you sometime soon. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment