Friday, February 8, 2013

Day 4. Why Do We Close Our Eyes to Pray?

Your views on religion.

You always hear people ask, "Do you believe in a higher power?" when talking about religion. The other day, a friend of mine followed up that question with, "Do you believe in a lower power?" I'd never thought of it that way before--that maybe some people believe in one but not the other...
Personally, I believe in powers beyond that of what I can see. I believe in good and bad. I don't think I'll ever really be a church-going kind of believer. Fellowship doesn't do a lot for me. I believe in a moral code but everything that most religions have to say about what makes you a good or bad person just puts me off. There are about a billion ways to be a good person. I don't subscribe to the notion that there is a specific set of rules and, to be a good person, you must follow all of them all the time. It sure helps. But it's too rule based; I like exceptions.
I think that religion is a very tricky thing; get mixed with it and it starts the Crusades. Those were fun times, right? I'm all for the idea that everyone is entitled to their own set of beliefs. I just wish that people would keep their strong, egotistical opinions to themselves.
My strongest thought about religion is that I wish people wouldn't shove it down my throat. You can believe whatever you'd like; please offer me the same courtesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment