Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Funny Thing...or Two

Lots of stuff is running through my mind right now.
I'll try my best to be coherent.

Story #1
There's this guy (who shall be referred to as "Guy" for the rest of this story) that I met while at freshman orientation for my school this summer. Guy is an interesting mix of nice and sarcastic, and I thought we got along pretty well. We hung out the evening of Day I, and during an info session on Day II. Then we had to go to our separate advising classes and I thought that that would be it. 
But it wasn't.
Guy came to find me afterward our advising classes. He asked for my number but (as you all know) I didn't have one until a few days ago. So, instead, we traded Facebooks and then hung out in Red Square (one of the courtyards on campus) until our respective parents showed up to whisk us back to the rest of our summer. 
Later, he Facebooked me, wondering if I had any time/desire to hang out that weekend. (I'd told him that I was staying in Seattle with my brother and Guy lives very near Seattle.) To me, all of these signs pointed to the conclusion that maybe he was interested in me, which was welcome knowledge because I was intrigued (to say the least). So I said "yes". And we had a fun time.
As life (or luck, whichever you prefer) would have it, we didn't talk very much after that. We've only seen each other a few times since school has started. But now we're working together (and 5 other people) on a project in our Theatre class. (Complete and distracting side note: I'm going to be a script writer this quarter!) Back to the point at hand, I overheard one of our other friends asking Guy about some girl that he is apparently going on a date with this evening.
The fact that he is already going on dates is a surprise (mostly just because there's no way he's known this girl for longer than two weeks) but it doesn't suck as much as I thought it would. Granted, it would be really shallow of me to assume that he was automatically and solely interested in me (if he was ever interested in me) considering how charismatic and good-looking he is. Well, maybe "shallow" isn't the right word...naive. It would be really naive of me to assume that he would only be interested in me when we're in college (surrounded by lots of other possible dates) and when we know each other as much as we do (which isn't much).
I guess that's the nice thing about being in college, though...there are 15,000 students attending school here. I've heard that about 4,000-5,000 live on campus. That's about the same size as my old community. Except (for the most part) all of these people are within five years of my age. Yes, it's a little bit saddening for me to realize that Guy isn't into me. However, it's not a big deal. He's not into me, so what? There are probably at least 6,999 other males on campus.
That's a lot of males to choose from :)
And Guy and I can be good friends. Hopefully, that's not a naive thought as well.
Story #2
I realized the other day that, by the time I sit down to write a post about my day, I've forgotten a bunch of the funny nuances that make being at college so entertaining. I'm going to try to get in the habit of documenting more of these observations so here it is:

Observation Time: Oct 2, 2012
You should note that today was really windy...
  • I saw a boy flying a kite 
  • There was a boy studying shirtless outside, which I consider a great feat because my hands felt frozen just in the time it took my to walk from South to North campus
  • I saw doppelgangers of the following people: Kurt Hummel, and BYU Amanda (the latter is a real person so I shall refrain from using her real name)
  • Whenever I get stressed out, I listen to my "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" audio book. The book itself is hilarious and the escape to another universe is appreciated  
  • I'm planning to keep moving seats in my Art History class until I make friends. So far, no one's talked to me. (Granted, I haven't talked to them but not the point!) I'm wondering if this could be considered a psychological study, if a few key people moved seats every class period?
  • Did you know that almost everything we know about ancient Chinese culture comes from the artifacts we've found in their tombs?
  • There's this boy who lives in my dorm community and hangs out with an acquaintance of mine that I think is cute. My friend (who will be getting her own pronoun soon) has dubbed this boy "Joaquin" until I find out his real name. Anyway, the point is that he's not only in my dorm community but in my Psych and Theatre classes as well. Now I'll just be seeing him around all the time.
  • I'm really glad that I look online courses in high school because I'm having to do a bunch of online stuff with all my classes this quarter and having the background is going to make it a whole lot easier.
  • (BIG NEWS!) There was a boy in my Theatre class today, wearing a Ramstein Wrestling t-shirt! Funny how your worlds can collide, even when you least expect it...I should talk to him.
  • I love getting mail. Kris (who you might know as "Boy with the Navy Diver Postcard") sent another postcard, which arrived yesterday. It is wonderful. (I shall insert a picture as soon as I get around to taking one.)
Story #3
There's lots of reading to do at college. I have two chapters to read today, at least. Plus work and dinner and Facebooking. Time to get to the reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment