Wednesday, October 10, 2012

(Late) Observations and SWING KIDS!!!

Okay, I've been really bad about doing my "Observations" section for a few days now. So here's all of those plus my excitement about Swing Kids tonight.

Observations, Oct 5-10, 2012
  1. Awkward eye contact is aptly named
  2. I'm really jealous of this girl in my Psych class who was wearing a Batman shirt and Converse
  3. I'm really proud of people with disabilities 
  4. Americans have a thing for logos
  5. Other people sitting on tables instead of chairs makes me happy
  6. Humans really are social creatures
  7. The doors in my dining hall are my favorite doors on campus; I can push them open at the same time and walk through them like I'm someone important
  8. People are pretty consistently surprised that I'm a freshman
  9. How cool is it that modern technology allows me to text people across the country?
  10. So far, my moving seats in Art History class hasn't gained me any friends
  11. Being in my room alone all weekend put a damper on my thinking/observing abilities
  12. It makes me smile whenever anyone steps over chairs in a row to get up to a higher row
  13. I missed how running makes me legs feel
  14. I love when I turn my head and catch a guy looking at me
  15. My Anthropology professor talked about Italy today; and got it right
Okay so those are the observations I think you guys will actually be interested in. I've been spending a lot more time in my room so I haven't seen as many of the funny things that makes college so entertaining. Except for the shirtless-shoeless guy in the game room. That was weird.
So, anyways, I really want to tell you guys about Swing Kids!!! Last week seems like so long ago all of a sudden. Anyway, I had the most amazing time tonight. I'm hoping I'll say that every Wednesday. The lesson was really fun, which I attribute to the good attitudes of my leads. It's not as fun when a lead is being pouty. If they're up front and say, "I'm not super good at this." I say, "That's totally good; I'll help you out." I was even pleasantly surprised with some of my leads.
But, anyway, the lesson isn't the best part of the evening. The best part was the Social--when everyone and anyone can dance with whoever they want. I danced with Michael, Brian, Ben, Nathan, Boy Whose Name I Forgot, Boy Whose Name I Never Got, Boy Whose Name I Think is Emory, Boy in the Striped Shirt, and two girls during Snow-Ball. I feel like I'm missing someone but I can't remember for sure.
ANYWAYS...Michael loves to spin me (and asked me to dance twice). Brian was fun to talk to (and was surprised that I'm a freshman). Ben's really confident (it's only his second week but he's already a pretty good lead). Nathan is insanely, insanely good. (He gave me a couple tips and complimented me on my following skills.) I danced with Boy Whose Name I Forgot last week and he was just as good tonight (he loves style steps). Boy Whose Name I Never Got was better than me, which I knew from watching him before we danced during Snow-Ball. Boy Whose Name I Think is Emory is new at dancing but I danced with him last week so it was easy to invite him to dance again. I danced with Boy in the Striped Shirt during the lesson and I think it's good for the new boys to dance during the Social so I asked him. The girls were fun to dance with but a little awkward since I ended up leading for a second and wasn't prepared for that.
Geez, I feel bad for all these guys who are just now coming out and having to lead.
"Kurt! That's the one I left out. God bless Kurt."
Not really.
But points to anyone who can name the movie that line is from.
Zach (I think) is the name of the one I missed. He was new too but I mostly remember his cologne. It smelled really good.
Let me explain Snow-Ball really quickly. Four or five couples start in the middle the dance floor, surrounded by all the other dancers. Music plays, the four or five couples dance--la ti da, life is wonderful. Someone yells out "Snow-Ball" and the couples all break up. Then, each person who had just been part of a dancing couple pulls a new partner out of the crowd. Music plays, eight or ten couples are now dancing--la ti da, life is wonderful. Someone yells out "Snow-Ball" and the couples all break up. Then, each person who had just been part of a--yeah you get it. Until everyone is dancing.
Everyone should dance. It's wonderful. And so happy making. I love it.
Another observation, I say "anyways" a lot when I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment