Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Rewards

Yay, chocolate. :)



I was surprised to find these Lindt balls when I went to the grocery store today. It's rewarding in two ways: it's chocolate and it reminds me of home. Yes, home is Italy in this case.
So, let me fill you in about what I did over the weekend...I watched "How I Met Your Mother". All weekend. I think I must've gotten through three seasons. This activity was mainly because I was the only person in my suite all weekend and, therefore, could laze around without truly feeling lazy.
Here's what I should've been doing all weekend: homework.
But, luckily, since I think I've finished almost every episode that exists of HIMYM on Netflix Instant, I would be distracted by it anymore. It's a great show with some hilarious characters and an endearing premise. But it's been six seasons, and I'm a little bored of watching the protagonist go through girls that may or may not turn out to be his wife. So there's another reason to stop watching it. Another reason to stop watching it is that I start acting like the characters. It's weird. And I'm betting there's a psychological reason that I do it.
Anyway, I managed to do a little bit of homework on Sunday but I couldn't get through my Psych chapter. It's all about the neuroscience of the brain and body. It sounded way too much like a biology textbook. Ugh. Not fun. So I meant to read that on Monday along with a few other readings but I was tired and distracted all day so I couldn't focus at all.
Thus, I went to bed early and decided that I'd get up early to do the homework I needed to do.
Well, getting up early didn't work out as well as I'd hoped because my roommate was still asleep when I woke up and I didn't want to bother her by turning on the light or making much noise. So, instead of getting up at 7, I got up at 8. And, sadly, a headache came with consciousness. Again homework was delayed because I went to get breakfast so I could take some pain meds and then I had to wait for said pain meds to kick in before I felt like I could focus.
Then, finally, around 9:30  I settled down to do my homework. By noon, I'd read four chapters (each of my classes) and done one online quiz for Psych. I'm super impressed with myself. And I felt a lot better because my stuff was all done.
Then came lunch, where I made a couple friends. One thing I'm noticing is how often people are surprised when I tell them that I'm a freshman. I don't feel like I look that old so I'm guessing it's because I work at the desk that confuses people. I think it's more typical that my position goes to a returning student, someone who knows about the school and the town. On that note, I'm trying to learn about it.
Funny story, this girl just showed up at the desk, asking questions about this new thing that Obama Administration is putting out: the Shopping Sheet. Apparently, like no one knows about it; it's supposed to help college students understand their options when it comes to financial aid. But the point of me mentioning it is that it reminds me of my Anthropology project that I have to do. I have to interview 6 people about their political views...
Where am I going to find 6 people willing to talk to me about politics?
Back to the original point, after lunch I had classes: Art History and Theatre. Did I tell you guys that I'm the producer in my theatre group? Well, I am. I'm actually really excited about it at the moment. That's probably because I have a lot of respect for the director and I think we'll get along really well.
After Theatre, I managed to get the rest of my homework done in the computer lab (which was delightfully warm after my chilly walk) before I headed down the hill to the grocery store. I think Tuesday afternoons might become shopping afternoons. I probably wouldn't have to do it once a week if I didn't buy and eat all my fruit.
Since I wasn't really in the mood for dining hall food (or the last half-hour dining hall rush) I decided to get dinner at Wendy's. There's one across the street from the grocery store. That probably won't become a Tuesday afternoon habit but it was nice for tonight. Now I really need to go for a run, though.
Work has been pretty good so far. RA2 came by and shared a little thing of ice cream with me. She's really nice. Also, I found out from a few residents who just got tattoos today that "Old School Tattoo" is a good place in Bellingham to go. Maybe once I have $100 that I feel comfortable spending, I'll go get one. :) Hopefully it won't actually be that much (the design I have in mind is pretty simple) but I feel like it's a good amount to have set aside, just in case. And, if it's cheaper, then I have extra money all of a sudden.
I'm going to do today's observations in a different post because this one's already long enough. So that, a run, shower, and (fingers crossed) Downtown Abbey are on my list of things to do this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment