Friday, September 7, 2012

14 dollars or 20 euro?

I ran into this little dilemma a few weeks ago when I realized that the jewelry holder I own hangs on a wall, and I can't stick nails or anything into my dorm walls. That put me in need of a standing jewelry holder and, while I was actually able to find many that would suit my purposes perfectly, I really wasn't in the mood to pay 15 or 20 euro for them (translate to about 20 or 25 dollars), especially since I have the cost of textbooks and everything coming up really soon.
Then I got to thinking about the craft store on base, and wondered if maybe I could make one myself. I spent a few hours one day, drawing out plans of how I might accomplish that, and finally went shopping at said craft store yesterday.
My materials
I had a general idea of what I wanted to be able to store on this holder: rings, necklaces, earrings, and alternate necklace charms. You have to admit that $14 dollars for all of these supplies is so much better than $20 for a bulky standing holder. Speaking of "bulky", I knew that I was going to have to travel with this holder and, therefore, wanted to be able to dismantle it here and put it back together when I get to school.
That, of course, made things complicated when I actually started building. It's so much harder to make something stable when you can't glue all of the pieces together right then and there.
Now, after a few hours of tinkering, adjusting, and full out fighting with the pipe-cleaners, I just have to wait for all of the glue to dry.
Finished version: View A




So I managed it. :)
I now have a dismantle-able, standing jewelry holder. My mom saw it when she came home for lunch and restated her belief that I should be an engineer.
I'm not as sure as she is that engineering is a good career choice for me, but I had a lot of fun trying to figure this out, and then actually building it.
Finished version: View B




Plus, it's got more personality than anything I would've been able to buy. Personality is always a good thing. 

1 comment: