Saturday, September 15, 2012

A Conversation I Had

As sometimes happens when I'm in Seattle, I was up late talking with my brother last night. We talked about this and that, but the thing that's sticking in my mind at the moment is the part about my independence. A few facts: I've been alive 18 years and some odd days and, while I've had my moments of being my own person, I've really been pretty dependent on my parents. In part, that's because of where we lived, and the fact that I couldn't get myself around so I ended up being home a lot. But that's also not really any excuse because my sister was in the same situation and, in my opinion, has been her own person since she was 16. Which probably explains a little bit of my theory that she's way cooler than me.
Anyways, I'm coming to the real realization that I am on my own now. Yes, I will get moral and financial support (maybe not in that order) from my parents and the rest of my family, but all the decisions that I make now are purely based on me. I am responsible for myself now. A few months ago, the knowledge that I would be completely responsible for myself scared me half to death. Seriously, ask a few of my friends about the many freak outs I had regarding college. Now, I'm just having this feeling of, "What's really the point of being scared of adulthood? It's going to happen to me anyways and I would rather enjoy my life than be scared of it."
Yes, there's stuff that I have to do now. Yes, I have to be more wary because I'm legally and (theoretically) financially independent. Yes, I am a college student that needs to earn a degree in four years. Yes, I'm a person who has to figure out what the heck I want to do with my life.
But every experience can be a good experience.
And, if it's not, it still gives me something else I can write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment