Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Two Firsts Done

I just finished up in my first ever college class. Lucky for me, RA6 is in that class so I have one friend. If I may share a hope with you guys, I think I'm going to be surprised about how close he and I become. Maybe. Hopefully.
Anyway, this class was just about the syllabus and how the class with work. My professor is not back at the university yet so his TA is going to be lecturing on Friday then he'll be back to school on Monday. I need to go over his syllabus again, along with doing the homework. I probably will actually start on said homework here in a few minutes. Since I have another class at one, it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to walk all the way back down my dorm (which is at least a ten minute walk from the rest of campus). I'm really worried about tomorrow when I have to make it from one class to the desk (the place I work) in that ten minutes. Emailing the person on shift before me to tell them I might be a few minutes late would be a good idea, huh?
Speaking of which, I still haven't found anyone to cover my shift tonight so that I can do Swing Kids. I can't even begin to tell you how sad that makes me. My mom said it perfectly, "Swing Kids was one of the deciding factors of choosing my school." And it totally was. Now I won't get to be a part of it for, at least, a quarter. RA6 told me that all of the RAs can only work two hour shifts, which might be a reason why no one has said anything. I'm also really considering buying a membership pass to the Rec Center and going to Zumba classes, since I can't make the class that's free.
My other first was my first shift at the desk, which was actually last night. I only worked for an hour, but it was a nice introductory kind of time. A little mishap occurred, though, when DAK (one of my coworkers) showed up to help out and we accidentally locked the mail room key in the mail room. That was a hassle. And I felt really bad for being on my first shift when it happened. Great first impression on the job, huh?

So that's two of my firsts done. I'm working again tonight (sadly, instead of going to Swing Kids; I still have my fingers crossed that someone will pop up and say "Sure, Robyn, I'd love to switch with you!") and I hope that it goes well. No more locking the mail room keys in the mail room is definitely a goal of mine.
Let me tell you a secret, though...I was seriously shaking when I woke up this morning. And I've been on the verge of tears since, like, 7 pm last night. I'm hoping and praying that college (more specifically, this college) was the right choice for me. I am totally used to knowing everything about everything, and I just don't know anything here. Or anyone for that matter. Yes, there's RA6 and SMH but neither of those bonds feels like a real friendship yet. Oh, and there's MB but that relationship feels pretty fresh too.
I want friends. Like, people who invite me to do things with them. Like, people who want me to come chill in their room. Like, people who will drive away my almost-tears by just being around. People I can hug and talk to and text and walk around with and everything that friends do together. I had those people back in Sig (at my old place of abode). And I do have people that I can text and talk to, but I feel that it's less likely that I'll make friends here if I'm attached to my phone.

That's life right now. Hard and a little sad, but still going. My hopes are that I'll be able to contain my tears until I'm not around anyone; that I'll make friends; and that I'll survive this whole experience. I'm still pretty overwhelmed at the moment.

PS...does anyone have thoughts about getting a recorder to record lectures? Is that actually helpful? Are they expensive?

No comments:

Post a Comment