Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Is it the Thought that Counts?

"It's the thought that counts."
 A phrase that carries some insanely wonderful sentiment, but I'm coming to the realization that maybe it isn't completely true. Yes, if someone does something with good intent, that's great. But after enough times of just getting, "I promise I'll make it up to you," it's hard to keep a smile on your face. If the thought is what counts, why did people ever get up and start doing things? If the thought is what counts, why did people start making and giving presents? If it's the thought that counts, why do people ever feel the need to say anything more than "I'm thinking good things for you"? The thought is part of what counts.
The thought creates the action or the words that really mean something. If I want my friend to know that I'm missing them, I don't just think "I miss them"; I get online and send them an FYI of "Hey, I miss you." If I want to wish my friend a happy birthday, I spend a bunch of time beforehand putting together a present for them. The thought spurs the action. The thought is the stuff behind the words. The thought is great but it's not what people can see. The thought is only a part of the equation that makes a thing count.
You need the thought and the action.
You need the thought and the words.
The thought is undoubtedly useful, but is not the only thing that counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment