Saturday, September 15, 2012

Tidbits

Have you ever considered how many people's lives you're in each and every day? First, you've got your family and your friends (the people that you predictably live with and choose to spend lots of time with.) Second, there's your coworkers or your peers. (the people that you maybe want to be with but mostly you just have to be in the same room for long periods of time). Third, there are cashiers and delivery men (delivery persons, sorry) and RAs and other types of people that you interact with for a certain purpose. Fourth comes the people that you just pass by on the street, or sit next to on a plane, or glare at when they bump into your chair at your favorite restaurant.
The fourth group, in a way, are my favorite kinds of people. And the reason for that is that I don't know anything about any of them. Think about it...all you know about a person when you first see them is whether or not you think they are attractive. All you know is your thoughts about them. Maybe they look like they're having the worst day of their life but you don't know that. It's when people start talking that you get to know some things about their life. It's like you're an unreliable first person narrator into someone else's life. You cannot read their thoughts so you only relay what they are doing and saying; but, since you're a first person narrator, you are going to put your own bias on what you're relaying.
Instead of saying "Then he grabbed her and walked away" you might say something like "Then he scooped her up into his arms, and looked deeply into her eyes as he carried her down the aisle." The latter definitely sounds more apropos for a wedding scene. (No, sadly, I'm not attending a wedding right now. But they're fun to think about.)
The point is that talking becomes quite important when you want to learn things about a person's life. Sure, you could go through their stuff and assume that whatever they have the most of is the thing that they're really into, but that doesn't always work. I'm really into dancing but have nothing, really, to suggest that I'm into it. There's not an abundance of dance music on my computer; there's not hundreds of instruction videos in my YouTube history; I don't have flyers or posters about my favorite place to go dancing. But if you asked me what I like doing, dancing would be high on my list.
The fun thing, though, truly is when you hear people talking out of context. And I don't mean coming in at the wrong part of someone's conversation, misinterpreting it, and making everyone in the part laugh because of how awkward everything sounded to you. I mean when you're walking down the street and you hear a single sentence from someone yelling into their cell phone. Or when you are on your way back to your table at your favorite cafe and you hear a couple having a hushed argument.
So here's a couple of things I've heard recently that have made me curious:
-"No, this wasn't part of the plan."
-"Seriously? This is how this is going to happen?"
-"I cannot believe that just happened." *many, many giggles need to follow this statement*
-"You only really need three days to do Prague."

Anything you guys have heard recently that makes you pause for a second and go, "Wait, what? Now I wanna know"?

Side note, I might put a few more of these intriguing tidbits in posts in the future. I think it's fun to wonder so I'll try to give you guys something to wonder about.

No comments:

Post a Comment