Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Big Girl Now

I've officially done a train trip and a plane trip all by myself. So I think I am officially a 'big girl'. Today was the first of (predictably) many plane trips back and forth to Germany. Now I just need to get a hold of whomever is responsible for direct flights and bake them several cakes because flying direct is so much better than having layovers in cities you don't really care about, even if that does make the flight really long.
Anyway, the whole trip was sadly uneventful. Seriously, my favorite part happened before I even got on the plane. I was at an illy cafe, waiting in line to get some breakfast. The group in front of me was three (later, it became four) guys who were obviously American military. Awkward eye contact was made a few times... But the point arrives as we arrived at the counter. Since it was an illy, everything was in Italian. Since these guys were American, they didn't know which sandwiches were what they wanted.
"I think I'll get the cap-caprese?" one of them said. And, being the Italian aficionado that I am, I decided to step in.
"It's caprese,"  I offered, stepping a little closer to them.
The guys all turned around, one of them speaking up. "Oh, um. Do you know if there's chicken in it?"
I shook my head, "It's tomato and cheese."
"Okay, thanks." So they ordered and I felt all proud of myself for helping them out.
Then I decided to order my hot chocolate and croissant in Italian because I know my Italian usage will decline while I'm in the states, and I am going to miss using it so, so much. Okay, maybe it was a little because I felt like showing off but, hey, I can speak the language so why shouldn't I use it? The guys were still waiting for their food when I left so I wished them a good trip. They replied in kind. Now I can't help but wonder if our encounter will disappear from their minds when they wake up tomorrow, or if they'll get a flashback in two months and be all like, "Oh yeah. That girl." I hope the latter.
But, yeah, the flight was much less exciting. I crocheted one complete hat and got about halfway through another. I've decided that Lufthansa is the airline of choice because they give lots of snacks and drinks on the flight. That's quite nice of them to have snacks for me while I felt like the only conscious person in my part of the plane.
And now I'm sitting at my brother's house, chilling and starting to plan out the rest of the weekend. (Oh, and making fun of his housemate for liking Twizzlers. Red Vines are far superior.) Swing dancing is on the list of things to do for sure, which I'm insanely excited about. :)
So, all in all, the trip went really well despite being a little boring. Note to self: pack less next time because fat backpacks do not fit underneath the seat in front of you. Also, note to the rest of the world: you are not the only passenger on the plane so please don't lean your chair back all the way into my face. Thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment