Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Two Weeks and A Day

 
 
Yup, that's pretty much how I'm starting to feel. Here's a few of the things I know have to happen over the next fifteen days.
1) Help my parents move in to their house
2) Unpack my own stuff
3) Repack my own stuff
4) Help at volleyball practice
5) Go shopping (fingers crossed)
6) Fly back to the states
7) Hang out with my family for a few days
8) Move in to my dorm

Granted, yes, shopping could get nixed very quickly but the point is that I'm starting to get a little worried about the magnitude of what I have to accomplish. But, also, excited.
Worried because, well, I have a lot to do, and I can't start doing most of it until my parents actually pick a house. That task is complicated by the fact that this base is closing next summer, and German landlords are pretty interested in long-term renters. But, even after we have a house to move in to, unpacking takes a long time. And, since Mom and Dad are both working, I'm pretty sure that unpacking is gonna end up being "my job", which is actually really fine with me. Unpacking is like having Christmas in September and that's always fun, discovering some trinket and thinking, "I totally forgot that I had this!" Plus, I always have a dance party while I'm unpacking, and (thanks to a couple friends) I have awesome new music to dance to. Yay!
However after unpacking comes repacking, and packing is severely less fun than unpacking. There's tons of "How do I fit everything I want/might need into this suitcase?!" stress every time I pack. And I have lots of packing experience--thank you sports trips. At this point, I'm also getting a little worried that my parents won't be ready to move in anywhere before I have to start my repacking. (I mean, they're ready to move in but the two places we're looking at aren't ready for us.)  The clothes I have access to now are A) the only clothes that I have had for the past two months so I'm kind of sick of them, and B) they're not fall clothes, which I'm going to need for college in Washington. Not much I can do about it, of course, but I would like to not freeze my first few weeks at school while I wait for my parents to unpack my stuff and send over what I need.
But, like I said, I'm also getting really excited because, hey, I'm going to COLLEGE in a few weeks. I'm so excited to see my friends again (a shout-out to my roommate-for-a-night, her roller derby best friend, and the boy who jumps out of closets), as well as to start working. It's a mini miracle that I got this job (partially because it's the first one I've applied for...ever, and that I almost missed getting the email where they actually offered me the job). And I am so excited to start. Does that make me extra weird, being excited to work? If yes, oh well.
Anyways, this'll be my first time out on my own and, as kind of scary as it is, I'm pretty sure that it's going to be amazing. I mean, me on campus with nearly 15,000 other college students. What could wrong?
...
Don't answer that. :P
But, before I even hit campus, I get to spend the weekend and some days in Seattle with my brother and sister, maybe my cousins too. Since it's been four years since I've lived with any of my siblings, hanging out with them always turns into a massively good time. The last time I was in the city with my brother and sister, we danced basically the whole time, and I went on my first ever midnight run to Micky D's. The dancing included going to my first real Zumba class, my first time at a club, and my first time going swing dancing. Lots of firsts that weekend...all very fun times. In case you guys haven't figured this out yet, I love dancing. Hey! I'm going to be in the city on swing-dancing night; time to go chat with the brother about going to that again.
So, in three weeks, my life will have changed completely. That's a weird to thing to know. I'll be surrounded my Americans all the time. I'll actually be able to eavesdrop, if I feel like it. I'll be able to sleep until 9 and still make it to class on time. I'll be living in a room with someone whose name I don't know at the moment. And I'll get to spend a lot of time just hanging out with the fantastic people that I've met/plan to meet.
But, before I get to all that, I have to make it through these next two weeks. And, just like Prince Humperdink says, "I'm swamped."

No comments:

Post a Comment