Sunday, September 2, 2012

Dear You,

Dear You,
I would like to introduce you to the concept of "mixed messages" because--whether you know it or not--you're sending me a lot of them. And it's kind of getting on my nerves. Considering the history here, I just thought that we should clear up everything.
But, wait, we did that. We talked about it. I know why you made the choices you did but you have to understand that those choices have some consequences. Yeah, I'm going to still be amiable, but that doesn't mean that you get to know everything about me anymore. It also means that a few conversation topics are off-limits now. And, like I said, we've discussed that. Maybe you forgot, and I know you sometimes have a tendency to do that. So, if that's the case, let me just remind you really quick: you made your choice and I would appreciate if you respected it when I said that I don't want to talk about certain things any more.
Look, I understand that life is hard for you. I know that. I've helped you through that. But, please, don't make it any harder for me. It's more than slightly irritating when I'm trying to step forward with my life and you keep showing up with a leash to wrap around my neck. I am my own person and I would appreciate if you tried to respect that because guess what? You decided that you didn't want to be completely involved in my life; I was standing there, totally ready for you to be as much as part of me as I am. But you made that call, the one where you stepped back instead of forward. Yes, I understand you reasoning, and I also respect it. And I'm doing my best not to harbor a grudge.
But, please, please, stop bringing up the past. It hurts. And it sucks. And, as good as I am at communicating, I don't know what to say when you bring up stuff about the past or about your dreams for the future. I know that I should say "Please, can we not talk about this?" but I have this thing against sounding like a broken record. So can you please listen? And can you please understand that you chose for this to be over? Because, I'm sorry, but that is what it is.
I will always be your friend, not because I feel sorry for you but because I enjoy your company and your conversation; I like how you introduce me to topics and ideas that I've never considered or always considered very outlandish. But I need you to stop acting like this.
Be my friend. Please don't try to be more.
Sincerely,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment