Thursday, September 27, 2012

Another First as well as Another Day of Classes

Note to college students: loose-leaf books means that the pages are not bound. If you see "loose-leaf" on one of your books, go buy a binder for it.
That's what I had to do today...all by myself. There's a Fred Meyer (a "one stop shop" for those of you who have never lived on the west coast) down in town (not in "downtown") that I went to when my family was here for the "Out of State Student Dinner" last Saturday. Wow, that feels like it was years ago. Yikes. Anyway, I'd bought a few storage boxes there that I didn't end up needing and I needed a binder. I don't even know how much time I spent yesterday looking at bus routes from campus to near Fred Meyer. Luckily, I found one relatively easily.
Then I just had to convince myself to actually get on the bus and go.
Somehow, I managed it. I rode the bus down there (ALL BY MYSELF, like a big girl), returned my unneeded storage boxes then purchased a binder, some black tights, Q-Tips, and bananas. Then I rode it all the way back to campus. I could've stayed on until the bus went to my dorm but it was really crowded and walked just sounded nice.
So that was my "first" of the day.
By the way, in case I haven't informed you guys, I'm hoping to counteract the "Freshman Fifteen" by walking to North campus (and back to South, where my dorm is) whenever I can convince myself to do so. Granted, on days were it's pouring rain...probably not going to happen. And I'm also going to buy an X-Pass (aka membership to the gym on campus) so I can go to Zumba classes. They don't start until next week, which is Demo Week. I might avoid Demo Week just because all the flyers say it'll be crazy and crowded.
After I dropped everything off at my dorm and got my book hooked into its binder, I headed back to the library on North campus to print the syllabi (syllabuses? what is the plural of "syllabus"?) for all my classes. My school is totally a "go green!" school so printing in mass quantities (say, enough for a lecture hall) is discouraged. But I like the have the hard copy so I can reference my assignments easier.
Studying for Psych came after that. Then my Art History class, which should be really interesting...I just need to remember to eat lunch before that class, not after. And that is the mistake I made today. But after Art History and lunch, I went to the class that I predict will be my favorite: Theatre 201, Introduction to Cinema. My professor is hilarious and I found that I know people in the class. Apparently, I'm also going to be working with them on a project all quarter. Hopefully that'll work out. I need to start thinking of themes...
Side note: here's something I don't like about college. The professors give one huge assignment that count for a huge portion of your grade instead of little assignments that make up your whole grade.
Anyways, after that was work and a package for me. My laptop has been returned from the company again. Fingers crossed that it actually works this time.
A few stray thoughts to close this whole thing up...
I need to talk to DAK (one of my coworkers) in person about maybe switching shifts with me. She's my last shot at being able to go to Swing Kids since DAA and DAE don't want to/can't switch with me.
I have a funny feeling that I'm going to be able to study a lot better outside of  my room. Being in it provides me with way too many distractions: my mail, my blog, Facebook, my bed...
My Psych book is really interesting so far, which makes me really excited since it's a lot of reading to do.
My Anthropology book needs to get here so I can start that reading.
I am SO SO happy that the dining hall in my dorm community does late night dinner hours. Otherwise, I'd be going without dinner tonight. And every other Thursday night...
I am looking forward to when I can take classes that aren't in huge lecture halls.
Things are starting to look a little brighter. I don't know if it's because I'm getting use to things, or because I know a couple people in my classes, or because I feel more solid at work, or because I had a reassuring conversation with my grandma yesterday... Whatever the reason, I'm hoping that things continue on the up swing. I don't feel like being sad anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely syllabuses, definitely that. And good, happy tends to be better than sad

    ReplyDelete