Sunday, September 23, 2012

Scared of Sleeping

I've figured out why I'm scared of sleeping: it gives me time to think. Thinking always results in thoughts of my family/my friends, and how much I miss them already. Somewhere, I know that this will all work out and that I'll manage to make friends here somehow...but I just miss the ones that I had. Right now, I'm really missing not having my parents asleep across the hall. But I can't talk about it too much or else I'm going to cry a whole lot. The point is that I'm scared of laying down because it finally gives my mind a chance to try and go through everything. It stresses me out and makes me want to cry. *sigh*
But, anyways, today was pretty good. After working check-in for a day, I'm less stressed about my job. I do know that tomorrow is going to be absolutely crazy, though, since it's the real move in day. I'll finally get to meet my roommate! And the other thousands of students checking-in... I am excited for both.
Since my job is working out so far, I'm trying to tell myself that the rest of it will be okay because I know that I can take care of it, I just don't feel used to living by myself yet. My mom, brother, and sister came to the "Out of State Student Dinner" tonight, which ended early and was followed awkward mingling. (I'm not good at mingling. Also, I'm noticing that lots of programs here run ahead of schedule, which is a good thing.) Then, when I decided it was time to run away from the awkward mingling, we went off campus and down to the town. We stopped at Fred Meyer's to get some of the things that I knew I needed, which was a great relief. (Silly me, though, I forgot about a few things so now I'm trying to not be stressed about those.) After shopping and a little more driving, they helped me bring everything up to my dorm and get all set up with the new things they'd brought me/everything I'd just bought. And that was good.
But then they had to leave. I cried.
Then I forced myself to go to the lounge and see what was going on. My suite-mate was there so I got to hang out with her. Then I wondered if my friend RA6 (as I shall call him) was in his room. I went over but, alas, he was not. Sad face. He and I hung out last night, and made a big list of movies that we need to watch so I was kind of hoping to watch one of those tonight. But I ended up in my rooms, totally planning on making some decorations to go up on my cork board and inside my closet; then I just didn't. I'm making lots of lame excuses as to why: "My room isn't set up just right yet" and "I don't have tape for my closet decorations." So maybe after tomorrow I'll be able to put things up.
The "summer camp" feeling is already wearing off; I'm trying to keep my head above the water, but it's definitely easier when I have people to hang out with. Maybe getting a job was actually a really good idea besides the obvious reasons of job experience and money: it'll help keep me busy. Plus, it's helping me make friends. Yes, I'm being on the "weird" people and making friends with the RAs. They're all super cool, though! Maybe they all just think I'm worth talking to because the RD was bragging about me being from Italy...Well, for whatever reason, they're talking to me and that's really nice right now. Company is really nice right now.
You know how I said that I'm not good at mingling? Well, I'm not. Not the awkward kind where you all get thrown into a room and are instructed to just talk. But, apparently, I'm pretty good at talking. Like, when we were working today, I was just talking and talking to everyone that I was working with. It was pretty wonderful.
I don't really know what else to say. I mean, I miss a lot of people. But I'm excited to meet new people. I wish I was at home. But I wish that my roommate would be here already. I'm worried about classes. But I also know (somewhere in my thick skill) that it will all be okay.
For now, I guess I'll just have to deal with my fear of sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment