Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mostly Amazing

I'M MOVING INTO MY DORM TOMORROW!!!

I'm growing up. Where the manual is for that?

This is going to be fun. :)

 And now you know...I'm moving into my dorm tomorrow afternoon then I have training for work Thursday evening and all of Friday so I can help everyone else move in on Saturday and Sunday. A few months ago, when I thought about this day, I was shaking in my figurative boots. Now I'm just crazy excited; I'm expecting that trying to get to sleep tonight will be about as easy as it is for a kid the night before Christmas. 
Today was one of those "on a mission" shopping days. Jeans, rain boots, long-sleeved shirts, a pillow, a file folder, a foam mattress pad, an umbrella (I know that it's practically sacrilege to live in Washington and own an umbrella; but, c'mon guys, it's a clear bubble umbrella.) Honestly, I don't remember the last time I had so much success on a shopping day, which is really me saying that I don't remember the last time I spent that much of my mom's money. Thank you, Mom! One thing I'm dreading a little bit is buying my textbooks; I managed to sign up for classes whose books are not only expensive but impossible to find anywhere but the bookstore at my college...so I get to pay a little over $150 for two of my books. I keep reminding myself that I can sell them back at the end of the quarter, which improves my outlook on life quite a bit. 
Anyway, today was not only amazing because of the shopping. I got to see a friend that I haven't seen in, I think, two years. She's as sweet and giggly as ever; she's also still the slowest eater I know. Profe, if you're reading this, I love you; breakfast was great times and you totally have to come up to visit me! I can introduce you to my roommate-for-a-night and the boy who likes to jump of of closets.
Speaking of those two, I'm apparently having dinner with them tomorrow evening. I've missed them a lot while I was in Germany; it's funny how you can miss people that you haven't actually spent that much time with. More to the point, I can't wait to hang out with them in person.
Here's another cool tidbit about the freshman page for my school. A few days ago, a girl posted that she knits and will make scarves for about 5 dollars. Somewhere in the comments, a boy asked if she can makes beanies. She said, "No." I said, "Yes." And, while that boy hasn't said anything yet, a different girl expressed some interest and now I am very possibly making lots of beanies over the next couple of months. The idea of making them for people really appeals to me because I love to crochet, but I don't always have inspiration to know what to do. If someone asks, "Can you make me a hat?" then I will have a goal. Goals are good to have. For a limited but undetermined amount of time, I am saying "You get me the yarn, I'll make you the hat." If I get enough demand, I'll start charging. Considering the nature of fall/winter in northern Washington, I'm predicting a fair amount of demand. Because, seriously, if I read Facebook "likes" as an indicator of who wants one, I already have four people asking me to make them one. 
My bit of sad news that adds the "mostly" to "Mostly Amazing" is about my laptop. At the beginning of the summer, I bought my own computer. Everything was wonderful for a few weeks, but then the screen started malfunctioning. We sent it in sometime in August; they sent it back a few weeks after that, saying it was repaired. It's not. That means that I have to figure out to how return it and buy a new computer soon. Lucky for me, my brother is somewhat of a computer nerd, and has offered me one of his extras (yes, he has extra computers) until I can get it all figured out.
All in all, I'm stoked for tomorrow. I'm stoked for the days after. I'm stoked for to go to college.
Yup, I'm like a kid on Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment