Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Let's Take It Downtown


I did it. I actually managed to navigate my way to and then around downtown Heidelberg all by myself. And, surprisingly, it went extremely well. I even got invited to have coffee by a German gentleman...it's too bad that I was on a schedule...and that he was probably sixty five. But he was the sweetest old man; on the tram, he just started talking to me (in German, at first, but then switched to English when he realized that I didn't understand). He said I looked like a nice girl. We talked about what I was doing in Germany ("on holiday, visiting my parents"); where he learned his very impressive English ("in school and in England"); and then he invited me to have coffee. Since I had plans to go shopping and am kind of wary about going unknown places with unknown people, I declined. But it was a very nice way to start my excursion. :)

The Hauptstraße in Heidelberg
 Welcome to Heidelberg's main drag. Yes, as a matter of fact, that is one of two H&M's on the street. This street has tons amazing shops all up and down it: Pimkie, Tally Weijl, New Yorker, Fossil, etc. I think that I'm going to have to go back for a more serious shopping trip before I head back to the states. As far as today goes, I found the birthday present I needed (but I won't say what or for who because they haven't received it yet), and a little bag that's probably supposed to be a makeup bag but shall be used as a way to carry my phone, keys, and ID when I get to college. A couple of the stores I dropped into had the kinds of clothes I want to buy for this fall (big sweaters, cute cardigans, boots, scarves) but, alas, 20 euro doesn't get one very far. Maybe it's time to hit up the parentals....

The stone wall where I sat to write


Another view of the straße
There's something really nice about these big pedestrian streets. The mixture of people is amazing because you've got your tourists, your school groups, and your native Heidelbergers (who are quite diverse in and of themselves). It's fun to watch all of them together in one place. Plus, everything's a little bit calmer on streets like this and, while it's quiet, it doesn't lack energy. It's a "stop and smell the roses" kind of street, I think. And, while I didn't find many flowers to smell, I did decide to stop and write for a while.
It's one of my dreams for life to be travel to European cities, find cute places to just sit, and then write to my heart's content (which is a lot). Guess that dream has officially begun :) Heidelberg, check. Next city to hit: Madrid. Or Dublin.

Oh, this was one of my favorite things that I saw while I was walking around.
It's reserved for Forrest Gump...don't touch.

Waiting for the tram can be boring...
But, alas, every adventure must come to an end. So here is the tram stop in Bismarckplatz. That was not my tram but this is were I caught my tram. You've got love a good system of public transportation. I don't think I would've gone out if there wasn't an easy way for me to get downtown but there was. So I did.




It's a good thing I like to people-watch.

Lookie what I found while I was waiting for my tram. (How many of you are rolling your eyes and thinking, "It was just a matter of time before a boy showed up here"?) Luckily, there is a more point to him than me liking his shoes (which I do). Look at what he's holding.
It's a doner box. For any Seattle-ites reading, you probably know "doner" as "gyro". So, it's a "doner in a box," which I think is great because I don't think I've ever managed to eat a doner gracefully. But I love them so much.
Anyway, this guy boarded the same tram I did and, while we did not sit next to each other and find out that we have everything in common, he did smile at me before he got off. Maybe he's just friendly, I know that. But I'm going to delude myself a little bit and think that he must've smiled at me because he thought I was cute.
Hey! Look at that. I'm becoming more approachable. One invitation to coffee, and one smile because I look like a nice/cute girl. Combine that with the fact I actually found what I was shopping for, it made for a fantabulous day.

1 comment:

  1. THAT is amazing. I am seriously jealous. Exploring? In GERMANY?? Yeah. I'm extremely jealous.

    ReplyDelete