Saturday, September 15, 2012

My Gift

I have this...I guess you could call it a "talent". I would sooner call it an obsession, really. I love giving people amazing presents. And I've gotten pretty good at it, especially over the past two or three years. Like, I have one friend obsessed with wizards and, the time that I got him for Secret Santa, I got him a glow-in-the-dark wizard puzzle. I know this other girl who loves all things fluffy, so I have bought her several stuffed animals. One of my best friend always lives a plane ride away from me, no matter where I am in the world. On her seventeenth birthday, I sent her 17 things that she would need whenever she managed to get her butt on a plane to come see me.  And then there's Rocky...another friend (geez, I'm doing a pretty good job of making it seem like I'm popular. Please, don't get the false impression here, people) and I always liked to argue about which movies the other hadn't seen. I told him that he needed to watch "Princess Bride" and he countered with "Rocky." Then, while I was in Barcelona, I saw a Rocky t-shirt. Talk about a perfect birthday present.
A lot of people know that I'm good at presents; a lot of people often ask for help. But I want to clear up a misconception: I am good at it because I pay attention to my friends. I know what they like and what they're style is. I invest some time in them. That's how I know what to get them, not because I just magically have great ideas. So, if he's your boyfriend that I have met all of once, I have this to say, "He is your boyfriend, not mine. You should know what to get him."

No comments:

Post a Comment